Authentic Thai Dish that is commonly eaten with a variety of other dishes and often served with white rice.
Thai Nam Tok Recipe (Beef Waterfall Salad)
Prep Time \ Cook Time \ Total Time
1 hour \ 45 mins \ 1 hour 45 min
Thai Nam Tok is a grilled meat dish, tossed in various flavors of fish sauce, lime juice, chili flakes, shallots, green onion, and herbs. This dish is usually eaten with a variety of other dishes and served with sticky rice.
- 1.5 lbs beef
- 1 tbsp ground peppercorn medley
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 Plate – Beef Salad:
- 1.5 lbs beef; grilled, and thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp cashews, plus extra (optional); roasted, and ground
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 pinches of coconut sugar (optional)
- ½ tbsp dry chili flakes
- 1.5 tbsp lime juice (more if desired)
- 4 shallots
- 1 green onion stem
- Two small handfuls of cilantro; chopped
- Mint (for garnish)
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- Marinate beef in peppercorn medley and soy sauce 45-60 minutes.
- Grill beef on medium to high heat for 6-8 minutes on each side, until meat is medium rare or medium.
- Rest beef on a plate for 5-10 minutes once it was cooked to your liking.
- Slice the beef against the grain into thin strips.
Nam Tok Salad:
- Roast cashews, set aside to cool, then grind in a food processor.
- Peel shallots, dice, then saute in olive oil; set aside.
- Dice the green onion, and pluck mint leaves; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add grilled beef, fish sauce, coconut sugar, chili flakes, lime juice, shallots, and green onion.
- Toss together all ingredients. Add more lime juice and fish sauce if desired.
- Garnish with toasted ground cashews and mint leaves.
Sauteed carrots and bok choy are a perfect addition to this beef salad.
- 5 carrots; sliced in half, then chopped in diagonal chunks
- 6 pieces of big bok choy
Saute in 2 tbsp of garlic olive oil until tender
Arrange around the beef salad.